Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Start Small

I am a new gardener and a new home owner.  Sometimes it is overwhelming to think about everything that needs to be done.  Today, I read a post from one of the many blogs that have been wonderful resources for me as I try to figure out what the heck I'm doing.  The blog post was about The Best Gardening Advice I Ever Got.

What struck me was the advice that professional gardener P. Allen Smith received from his grandmother: "start small."  He said "She gave me a little space in her garden to start growing, but I wanted a whole row.  She told me to start with something small and let it grow into something bigger."  There is something comforting about being given permission by an experienced gardener to "start small."  Here Mr. Smith's grandmother - an experienced gardener - gave him permission to "start small" and now he gives us permission to do the same. 

Other gardeners have also advised me to "start small."  But, as I work on my garden, I get anxious - and I keep forgetting this important advice.  I'm inclined to take on too much too soon.  When I start getting overwhelmed - thinking about all the things I think I should be doing - it helps to remind myself to "start small."  Thanks for the advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment