Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Probably More Than You Would Want to Know About Tomatoes

Several months ago, I signed up for a free e-newsletter from Mother Earth News.  In the issue I received today, one of the topics was Growing Tomatoes: A Collection of Expert Advice.  The link takes you to a page with dozens of articles about tomatoes.

Topics include:
  • The best tomatoes to grow in your location, including here in the Northeast.  Apparently, the best "slicers" are Brandywine, Early Girl and Beefsteak.
  • Vertical Gardening Techniques, including caging, trellises, etc.
  • How to save your own seeds
  • Several tomato recipes, including tomato jam and what they claim is the perfect tomato sandwich.  I think the point of that last recipe is that any sandwich made from a tomato grown and ripened in your own garden is the perfect tomato sandwich.  I'm sure I will feel the same way once I've tasted my first homegrown tomato.
For a beginner, it's always nice to find a resource that provides a lot of information about a subject in one convenient location.  I'm sure I will be returning to these articles as I continue my tomato growing journey.

Oh and if tomatoes don't rock your boat, this month's e-newsletter also includes an article on growing potatoes in a barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment