Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Cool bean!

I'm not a huge bean eater and I've never grown beans.  For some reason, I had it in my head that they were complicated and difficult to grow.  But, over the past few months several people have asked if I'm growing beans and have mentioned how easy they are to grow.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I picked up this colorful mix of beans:


I don't have any more room left in my little vegetable plot to add beans, so I've decided to try growing them in a large pot.  I drilled holes in the bottom and added some empty plastic bottles for drainage and to make the pot lighter and easier to move around.  Then I filled it with potting mix, combined with fertilizer, some manure, blood meal, and granulated lime.  I planted the bean seeds (which were all different colors) in a circle around the edge of the pot.  I added three bamboo stakes which I tied together at the top with twine, so the beans have something to climb.  According to the package, the plants are supposed to start sprouting in about 7 to 14 days.  A couple of days ago,  I saw the first sprout, and today I took a photo of the little guy:

My First Bean Plant!
I keep the pot on a wooden dolly on the side of the driveway that we never use.  That way if I ever need to move it around, it should be fairly easy to shift:







No comments:

Post a Comment